Monday, November 13, 2006

Lakshadweep-VI : Day 4 at Agatti

Day 4: We all woke up to the harsh reality of the fact that we will be leaving this paradise in a few hours from now. For a change we decided to walk down the beach on the western side upwards towards north. My target was few leaning coconut trees which I spotted the other day on the speed boat trip. They were about 1 ½ away from the resort. We walked slowly along the quiet beach, picking of beautiful sea shells or Kaudis on the way.

A local fellow collecting coconuts came running to me. He shook my hand and wanted me to take a photograph of him. Obligingly I readied my camera. But he then turned into a statue. I tried to loose him up and yet he hardly bulged. He was happy to see his photo on my digital camera and wanted a copy. So I took one more shot on my SLR and told him that I will send them to the resort office. He was so happy.

On the way, I got the opportunity to take some pleasing shots. It was just one of those opportunities when you are there at the right place at the right time. Look at the shots of clouds through the coconut trees. Finally, we reached the leaning coconut trees. I shoot several frames there in those early morning light. Some of the best photos in the trip were shot on that final morning. We then walked back to the resort for breakfast. We were told over breakfast that the time of departure will be announced whenever they receive any news. But the tentative time was 10 am.

We got ready well before time and waited in the jetty for departure. Finally, we said goodbye to the resort at around 11:30 am. As we moved away from the jetty, the resort started to disappear in the horizon. But every moment of those 60 odd hours spent in this paradise will remain etched in our mind and heart for ever. May be some day, when my daughter will grow up and will see these photos, she will get dragged into it. But only if these endangered islands still exist in the map of the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was an interesting report. I always wanted to know more about Laksadweep and the first hand report was very useful. Thanks.

Acilis said...

HEY.. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERINCE..
IF YOU GOT TO SEE THIS MESSAGE.
PLZ.. TELL ME THE EXPENDITURE FOR 4 DAYS.. AND HOW TO PROCCED..
PLZ IT WILL BE A HELP.. WE FRNS ARE PLANNIG TO GO THERE..
PLZ CONVEY ME AT khushal.sharma@gmail.com